Sunday, May 19, 2013

Yummy Brunswick Stew

Okay so Relay for Life fundraisers have taken place and I was blessed to have my mom send me some ribs and some Boston butts. They are super yummy!!
So for Mother's Day I decided I didn't really want to cook. I mean it was my day, right? Anyway, I instead heated up one of the butts (the smaller of the two) and we ate some bbq. Yummy as it was, there's only so much bbq I can handle sometimes and yet I still had half the butt left. I in turn decided to make my favorite stew. Simple, hearty, and yummy. BTW, it made enough that I was able to freeze a gallon bag full, give some to another family, and feed my family on it twice. I took a general recipe and made my own tweaks (like most do with recipes) in order to tailor it to my tastes and my families. Here's my recipe...

Brunswick Stew
2 lbs of shredded smoked Boston butt
1 can diced tomatoes with onions (I wish I would have used two but one did work well enough)
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup favorite barbecue sauce
1 1/2 to 2 cups frozen lima beans
3 cans creamed corn

I also added a couple potatoes to it although next time I'll probably skip them. The good news is like I said you can tweak it to your tastes such as add some hot sauce to get some heat. Believe it or not it was moist enough that I didn't need to add any more moisture. All it took was some time to let it all cook together and some cheesy biscuits and my family was fed. I have made a more intense recipes of Brunswick Stew but since this was simple and easy to put together it was what happened. Feel free to add to it and let me know how it works for your family.

I might also add that if you don't have a cooked Boston butt you can get an uncooked one and use the liquid smoke to get a smokey flavor (doesn't take much). You can also use some chicken. I had to add more meat than the 2 lbs due to my husband's tastes but we had it left over so it wasn't anymore work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment