Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Peppermint Patties that didn't make it

So I decided that since most of my time is spent cooking, cleaning, or taking care of the kids I would start adding recipes and suggestions to my blog to actually make it a blog. Haha! So as I love to be in the kitchen (cooking not cleaning) I commenced to making candies that past holiday season. I loved it and was actually getting pretty good at making the candies and then I wanted to find a recipe for peppermint patties to try out. Sounds simple enough. I get the recipe, make the filling (with a little tweaking) then I discovered what the recipe failed to mention...the middle melts when you coat it with chocolate. So here's what I made instead....

Mint flavored chocolate or Mint Fudge
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons light Karo syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon mint extract (wasn't able to find peppermint so I just bought mint)
1 tablespoon shortening
1 package of chocolate bark (Almond Bark)

Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate in a bowl and beat with a mixer. The original recipe calls for this mixture to be frozen to set, cut in shapes and placed back in the freezer but like I said I followed that and the mixture melted so I just added the ingredients into the melted Almond Bark. I poured the ingredient out on parchment paper and allowed to set at room temp as the bark sets up nicely. Depending on how you like the final product to look you can mix slightly in the filling to chocolate mixture or you can completely combine (I found the complete to work best for me and my tastes). When it sets it's thin and is a good texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment